Troy Ghost Town and Locke Mine



Watch Fullscreen Video

Alexander Beaty began prospecting in the Grant Range in May 1867. He discovered silver ore, staked 5 mining claims and organized the Troy Mining District in 1868. In 1869 Troy attracted investors from England. After exploring the area, in October 1870 the investors purchased the Troy mining claims from Beaty and established the Troy Silver Mining Company. A road was put in to the mine in early 1871 and a stamp mill was set up in the same year, followed by a furnace the next year.

The money was raised from English investors with somewhat exaggerated claims of the yield of the Troy mine. The mine failed to produce any significant ore and in late 1872 investor money ran out. The mine faced serious financial difficulties. Under a new manager in early 1873 the mine produced some silver, securing enough investor money to continue operation. But when news spread that part of the mine was flooded due to water seepage the share price dropped to next to nothing. In July 1873 shareholders agreed to invest more and give Troy another chance.

But in early 1876, after a roller coaster ride of good news and bad news, the mine was finally abandoned and the assets liquidated. The mill, furnace and most of the buildings were sold and moved to other locations. In December 1876 the Troy Silver Mining Company was dissolved.

In July 1902 George Sharp, a nearby rancher, purchased the claims for back taxes. Sharp, not interested in mining, blew up one of the two smoke stacks and used the bricks for building material on his ranch. He then sold the mining claims to the Birdno family.

After a significant strike in the nearby Reveille mine in 1904 Troy experienced a revival with small miners working various claims and in Spring 1908 the post office re-opened. But by 1915 activities had faded and the post office closed. A few families lived in Troy from 1902 until 1920. The last resident, Jim Birdno, finally sold the Troy mining claims in 1936.

The new owner, Joseph Hafen, developed the Locke Mine above the old Troy mill, mining for gold. But due to the war operation was put on hold until 1946. A small mill was built and a pipeline brought water from Troy Creek to generate electricity and for drinking water. The Locke Mine operated until the mid-1960s.

Today most of the buildings have been destroyed. The most notable features are the remains of a good size brick house and a wood cabin next to it and the remaining smoke stack of the smelter. There are also many other remains of buildings and mining equipment worth exploring in Troy and at the site of the nearby Locke Mine. The road to the old Troy mine up the canyon is still visible but due to erosion the only way to access the mine today is on foot.

Historical information based on the book Troy, Nevada & the Grant Range by Jeanne Sharp Howerton.

Directions

From Rachel turn left onto Hwy 375 north. Follow it for about 43 miles and then turn right onto a well maintained dirt road. After 31.6 miles turn right onto a secondary dirt road. After 3.7 miles you see stone foundations and the wood cabin on the left and the Troy smoke stack on the right. There is a shaded area, perfect for a picnic, and lots of remnants of Troy to explore all around. The last mile leads in and out of Troy creek but when we visited in late summer it did not carry a lot of water. High clearance is recommended.

To visit the Locke mine just above Troy continue on the main road for 0.3 miles. Then keep right and go uphill to the mine for about 1/2 mile. There are deep ruts along the road, but in a 4WD high clearance truck the road is manageable.

GPS Coordinates

Rachel  N 37° 38.801'  W115° 44.760'
Turn right onto well maintained dirt road  N38° 8.975'  W116° 6.384'
Turn right onto secondary dirt road  N38° 21.831'  W115° 37.836'
Stone foundations and wood cabin  N38° 20.748'  W115° 34.408'
Troy Smoke Stack  N38° 20.692'  W115° 34.489'
Keep right to Locke Mine  N38° 20.629'  W115° 34.168'
Locke Mine  N38° 20.470'  W115° 34.470'

Related Links


The Troy smoke stack is the first visible feature as you approach [08/31/2018]

Aerial view of Troy canyon looking towards Railroad Valley [08/31/2018]

Remains of a fairly large brick house that over the years was home to several families living in Troy [08/31/2018]

Today this wood cabin is the only intact building [08/31/2018]

Out house in between trees [08/31/2018]

Nature is reclaiming the ruins [08/31/2018]

Remains of an old diesel generator [08/31/2018]

The impressive smoke stack of Troy [08/31/2018]

Stone foundations of the of the old rock mill below the smoke stack [08/31/2018]

The flue of the smoke stack was once covered with bricks [08/31/2018]

The top of the smoke stack has been partially destroyed by vandals with long range rifles [08/31/2018]

Fairly intact building at the Locke Mine above Troy [08/31/2018]

The Locke Gold Mine operated between 1946 and the mid-1960's [08/31/2018]

Diesel generator next to the remains of the mill building [08/31/2018]

Entrance to the mine [08/31/2018]

A pipeline fed water from Troy Creek to the Locke Mine for power generation and drinking water [08/31/2018]

Natural bridge high in the mountains above the mine [08/31/2018]


Copyright © 2002-2018, Rachel, NV Webmaster. All rights reserved.   Copyright Policy   Privacy Policy   Page last modified 09/07/2018